Muhlenberg closes with 11-1 run to topple Washington

CHESTERTOWN — Surrendering just two goals over the final 30 minutes, Muhlenberg rallied for a 17-10 victory in men’s lacrosse Saturday afternoon at Roy Kirby Jr. Stadium.

The Mules trailed by as many as three goals on four different occasions — the last time at 9-6 about eight minutes into the second half — before closing the third quarter on a 5-0 run that was part of a larger 11-1 run.

Four different Muhlenberg players scored in the final 71 seconds of the third quarter to pull ahead, 11-9. Sophomore Michael Drago won the face-off after each of the first three goals, and finished 8-of-12 on the day.

The Mules took their first lead of the afternoon, 10-9, on freshman Jack Bill’s goal with 12 seconds remaining in the third.

Matthew Hochegger’s buzzer-beater 11 seconds later held up as the game-winner.

Washington’s Ben Dickinson scored the first goal of the fourth quarter, with 1 minute, 20 seconds elapsed, to close to 11-10.

But that would be it for the host Shoremen.

Bill found the back of the net with 12:12 remaining to start the game-ending 6-0 run — including back-to-back scores by senior midfielder Wyatt Malia and the first collegiate goal for freshman Ryan Neal — that salted away the win.

Malia, who leads the team with 27 goals and 39 points, finished with four goals for his 12th career hat trick.

Senior Ryan May (three assists), freshman Chase Kusko (one assist) and Bill each contributed two goals.

Muhlenberg improved to 1-2 in the Centennial Conference, and 4-7 overall.

Washington (3-7) also is 1-2 in the CC after losing its second conference game in a row.

The Shoremen and their guests traded goals to deadlock at 1 and 2, before Connor Garrison and Dickinson scored in succession to give the hosts a 4-2 lead after one quarter.

Washington took its first three-goal lead at 6-3 on a Garrison score with just under 10 minutes to play in the second quarter.

The spread at halftime was 8-5 after Cam Carrigan unassisted slipped in a goal with just 16 seconds remaining.

Garrison’s extra-man goal with 7:02 to play in the third quarter, completing his hat trick, made it 9-6 for the locals.

Washington would find the back of the net only once more the rest of the way — Dickinson from Cory Morgan to open the fourth-quarter scoring.

Garrison (21-6-27) finished with three goals and one assist; he leads the team in goals and points.

Carrigan (two assists), Morgan (one assist) and Dickinson each contributed two goals.

Grant Matthews assisted three times to bring his total to a team-leading 13.

Junior Will Charvala, in just his second career start, made 15 saves.

NEXT UP: Two-time defending Centennial Conference champion Dickinson (9-1) comes to Kibler Field in Chestertown on Saturday, April 6. The opening face-off is at noon.

No. 7-ranked Dickinson is coming off a 13-12 extra-time win over St. Mary’s on March 30. Junior attackman Owen Porter’s fifth goal of the afternoon with 1:44 remaining in the first overtime was the golden goal.

The game was played at William G. Tierney Field (USA Lacrosse Complex) in Sparks.

Any related posts will be listed here:

Skip to content