Shore ladies still have a shot at conference tournament

CHESTERTOWN — Washington defeated Dickinson, 17-16, on a walk-off goal just 22 seconds into extra time on Saturday, improving its chances of pinning down a berth in the six-school Centennial Conference women’s lacrosse tournament that begins May 1.

The Shore ladies (3-4 CC, 8-6) had lost their previous four games.

They have two games remaining — beginning tonight at home against Swarthmore (2-5 CC, 8-5) — and are battling for the tournament’s fifth or sixth seed.

Washington closes out the regular season this weekend at McDaniel, which is next-to-last in the conference and has no chance of advancing.

Saturday on the Kibler pitch in Chestertown, sophomore midfielder MaryCate Anson scored the golden goal after Mia Salvatierra won the draw control and found Abby Laubach for the set-up.

Dickinson (4-3 CC, 9-5) had closed out regulation on an 8-1 run, capped by Abby Geary’s goal with 80 seconds remaining, to force overtime.

The Red Devils scored three times in the final 4 minutes, 52 seconds of the first quarter to take a 3-0 lead.

Washington opened the second-quarter scoring with back-to-back goals from Piper Evans and Tobin Chambers, just 41 seconds apart, to make it 3-2 with 12:04 remaining in the half.

Dickinson twice bumped its lead back up to two goals, at 4-2 and 5-3, before Washington scored six goals in a row in a run that bridged the second and third quarters.

Ashley Devlin’s man-up goal with five minutes and change remaining before intermission started the 6-0 run, which included a pair of Laubach goals, Salvatierra’s buzzer-beater to end the half, and Chambers’ solo run to open the third quarter for a 9-5 advantage.

The Shore ladies took their first lead at 6-5 on Salvatierra’s goal with 1:55 remaining, and never trailed the rest of the way.

Washington led by as many as seven goals twice — the last time at 15-8 when Anson found Ellie Bossi with 1:17 remaining in the third quarter.

The Shore ladies carried a six-goal lead into the final frame, but scored only once over the final 15 minutes of regulation.

They had a chance to win in regulation when Anson won the draw control after Geary’s game-tying score, but they did not get a shot off and turned over the ball with just seconds remaining.

In the 6-minute sudden death period, Salvatierra controlled the draw. Anson got behind the defense near the crease and, after gathering in a pass from Laubach, deposited the ball in the upper left corner of the net for the game-winner.

This was Anson’s only score of the afternoon on her only shot; she had three assists.

Salvatierra (three assists) and Chambers each scored four goals, and Laubach was three-and-two.

Salvatierra (30-19-49) leads the team in goals and points, while Laubach is the team leader with 22 assists.

McKenna Seashole was credited with 12 saves.

For Dickinson, Delaney Herbert (two assists) and Emma Wynne each had four goals.

Any related posts will be listed here:

Skip to content