Shoremen unable to dodge Bullets in opening round of conference tournament

CHESTERTOWN — The two-goal lead that Gettysburg built after one quarter held up in a 13-11 contest here in the opening round of the Centennial Conference men’s lacrosse tournament April 30.

Three days earlier, Washington at home defeated then-No. 20 Gettysburg in the regular-season finale for both schools, 18-14, to pin down its first playoff berth since 2015.

The Shoremen (6-11) entered postseason on a three-game winning streak, while the Bullets (10-8) hadn’t won a tournament game on the road since 2009.

Quinton Mather found the back of the net just 38 seconds in to put Gettysburg on the board first.

Fourth seed Washington tied the game at 1-all on Cory Morgan’s goal with 12 minutes, 15 seconds remaining in the first quarter and at 5-all on Parker Barta’s goal with just under 11 minutes to play in the second quarter.

Stokes Myers’ solo tally with 9:10 to go in the half restored the Bullets’ lead for good, 6-5, and started a 4-2 run that extended the spread to 9-7 at intermission.

Washington’s Logan Trombley netted the first goal of the second half to get it to one, 9-8, but fifth-seeded Gettysburg scored three of the next four goals to match its largest lead of the game, 12-9, as Mather completed his hat trick with 1:33 remaining in the third quarter.

Back-to-back goals from Cam Carrigan and Nicky Bond — both unassisted — in the span of 44 seconds again brought Washington within one, 12-11, but the home team was not able to come all the way back.

Ryan Cernuto made it 13-11 with what held up to be the final goal of the afternoon with 7:42 to play.

G’burg’s defense held Washington to just five shots the rest of the way.

The Bullets snapped a six-game tournament losing streak on the road. 

Mather finished with six points on three goals and an equal number of assists to lead a balanced Gettysburg offense that featured scoring from eight players.

Jack Dunleavy (assist), Henry Grosso and Charlie Johnson each scored twice for the Bullets, who led 45-35 in shots.

Carrigan (assist) and Morgan each had two goals for Washington, while Grant Matthews (goal) assisted twice.

Also for the Shoremen, Owen Boone won 19 of 25 face-offs and scooped up a game-best nine ground balls.


Gettysburg upset top seed and host Swarthmore, 13-12, in the semifinal round May 2 after scoring the game’s first four goals and leading 5-1 after the first quarter.

Mather netted a hat trick for the second game in a row.

Second seed Dickinson defeated Gettysburg, 13-8, in the title game May 4 to capture its third straight conference title.

As the Centennial Conference champion, Dickinson (17-3) automatically qualified for the NCAA Division III Tournament.

No. 4 Dickinson advanced to the third round of the NCAAs before being eliminated by No. 11 Middlebury, 13-9, on May 12.






Any related posts will be listed here:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Skip to content