Begly wins coaching debut for Shore cagers

ST. MARY’S CITY — The Shoremen wiped out a 12-point halftime deficit to send the game into overtime and opened the five-minute extra period on an 8-0 run on the way to a 76-70 victory Wednesday night in their season opener at St. Mary’s.

Kedrick Frink (eight rebounds) put up a game high of 21 points and Paul Rodolf and Marcus Scott Jr. also scored in double figures to help make a winner of Corey Begly in his head coaching debut for Washington College.

This also was the first game as a Shoreman for Rodolf, a 6-foot-2 junior transfer from Community College of Beaver County in Pennsylvania. 

He contributed 20 points. 

Scott added 16 points, followed by Zack Skrocki with nine and Precieux Tshibangu with four to complete the scoring from the Shoremen’s starters.

Washington led 6-0 in bench points.

St. Mary’s boasted four players in double-digit scoring, led by Micah Henry with 21 points to match Frink.

The Shoremen trailed by 10 midway into the first frame before embarking on a 14-4 run to deadlock at 24 on a Skrocki jumper with 7 minutes, 33 seconds remaining before intermission.

They took their first lead at 28-27 on a Rodolf fast-break bucket with 6:35 to play in the half.

A Rodolf jumper kept it tied at 30 with just under six minutes to play, before Daryn Alexander’s three sparked a 15-3 run that put the Seahawks up at the break, 45-33.

St. Mary’s shot 53% from the field in the first half, 19-of-36, which included 6-of-12 in 3-point attempts.

The Seahawks were 0-of-5 from outside the arc in the second half.

St. Mary’s was still holding a double-digit lead of 52-41 before Frink caught fire. He scored Washington’s next 10 points to cut the deficit to 54-51 with 10:29 remaining in regulation.

It was back and forth after that.

With the score tied at 65, Washington gained possession when Frink grabbed a defensive rebound of a missed St. Mary’s free throw with 22 seconds to go.

Frink’s jump shot from just inside the arc beat the buzzer but did not fall, sending the game into overtime.

With 23 seconds elapsed in the extra period, Scott buried the back end of a two-shot foul to give Washington the lead for good, 66-65.

Field goals from Skrocki and Frink and then a traditional three-point play from Scott extended the spread to 73-65 with just inside two minutes to play.

Washington led by at least five points the rest of the way.

Washington will open its home slate Tuesday night, Nov. 14 against Gallaudet. The opening tip-off is at 7 p.m. 


Any related posts will be listed here:

Skip to content