Shoremen advance to 2nd round of NCAA soccer

GAMBIER, Ohio — Senior Harrison Malone’s goal in the 84th minute of Saturday’s match against Otterbein (Ohio) is sending No. 18-ranked Washington (12-2-5) to the second round of the NCAA Division III men’s soccer tournament.

After a scoreless first half, Washington and No. 25 Otterbein (12-4-4) traded goals in the span of 68 seconds for a 1-1 tie with 27 minutes remaining.

Malone restored the Shoremen’s lead for good and they went on to win, 2-1.

Washington will face host Kenyon (16-4) on Sunday at 1 p.m. The winner will move on to the Sweet 16.

No. 17-ranked Kenyon advanced after eliminating Dominican (Illinois.), 2-0, in the first match of Saturday’s twin bill.

In its match, Washington put a lot of pressure on goal in the opening 45 minutes, getting off nine shots that required seven saves from keeper Casey Thompson for a scoreless tie at intermission.

Otterbein mustered up four efforts toward goal and attempted four corners in the first half but nothing of trouble as Washington net-minder Anthony Pinto did not have to make a save.

Sophomore Tyler Davidson’s first collegiate goal gave Washington its first lead in the 62nd minute. Malone was credited with the assist.

In no time, the sides were all even as Gavin Miriello solved Pinto.

The Cardinals led 7-4 in shots in the second half, forcing Pinto to make three saves.

Those efforts proved crucial as Ben Strine found classmate Malone behind the Otterbein defense for the go-ahead goal with six and a half minutes remaining.

Senior Mayowa Taiwo of Chestertown, a Kent County High School graduate, came off the bench for the Shoremen and had one of their 13 shots.


MIDDLEBURY, Vt. — Centennial Conference champion Johns Hopkins rallied in regulation and then again in overtime to beat No. 15 Babson, 4-3, in the first round Saturday afternoon.

The Blue Jays (13-4-4) are advancing to the second round of the NCAAs for the 12th straight tournament.

The Beavers (11-4-7 ) saw their 12-match unbeaten streak snapped.
Trailing 3-2 with less than three minutes remaining in the second overtime, the Blue Jays scored twice in just 57 seconds to take their first lead of the match.

After a scramble in the box and the ball bouncing around, graduate student Max Edelstein (Colgate University) chipped the ball over a charging Walker White (10 saves) to level the score.

Less than a minute later, Edelstein chipped the ball into the box, where it was headed down by junior Will Sangpachatanaruki. Graduate student Eli Carr (Old Dominion) then ran onto the ball and fired a rocket inside the right post to stake Hopkins to a 4-3 lead with just 1 minute, 33 seconds to play.

That would do it as Hopkins was able to run out the clock.

The Blue Jays trailed 2-0 with less than eight minutes to play in regulation before graduate student Ben Goodman (Winthrop) and Francis Meyer scored in 2:01 to tie it up in the 85th minute.

Hopkins will now take on host and No. 4 Middlebury (13-1-4) in the second round on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Washington’s only two losses this season are to Johns Hopkins.



Any related posts will be listed here:

Skip to content