Flexibility will be key to Trojans’ success on the diamond

WORTON — The rebuild for Kent County High School baseball that started last year with a team of mostly underclassmen continues with more of the same.

There are only four seniors on the Trojans’ roster of 17 — Tanner Beck, Jace Conner, Noah Taylor and Shakur Wilson.

That means that some of the youngest guys, like freshmen Hunter Hawn and Owen Sutton, may find themselves starting for the varsity-only program.

Jason Conner, who returns for a fourth year as head coach, said the Trojans are going to have to be flexible and willing to play where needed.

“We’re going to move people around depending on who we’re playing against,” coach Conner said in a telephone interview Wednesday.

Jace Conner and Beck are No. 1 and No. 2 in the pitching rotation. Others who likely will see time on the hill are Hawn and juniors Noah Iacona, Braden Wilson and Aiden Crouch, the only left-hander on the staff.

Junior Scottie Ford returns as the starting catcher, with backup from Iacona and freshman Joey Homyack.

There are a lot of options at the infield positions: Iacona, Beck, Braden Wilson, Taylor and freshman Reid Fry at first; Owen Sutton and sophomores Nate Sutton and Caiden Pritchett at second; Jace Conner and Beck at shortstop; and Hawn, Iacona, Braden Wilson and freshman Drew Haas at third.

The outfield will be staffed by committee, anchored by Hawn and junior Zayvion Brown in center. Other outfielders are Shakur Wilson, Crouch, Pritchett, sophomore David Shaw and junior Gavin Miller.

At the dish, Jace Conner will lead off, followed by Iacona, Ford and Beck in the cleanup spot.

KCHS is 0-3 heading into Monday’s game at home against Pocomoke.

The locals’ best effort to date is a 10-2 loss at St. Michaels on March 27. The game was tied at 1-1 after four innings, before the Trojans’ bats went silent and they committed six errors.

 

 

 

 

Any related posts will be listed here:

Skip to content